Google

lundi 30 septembre 2013

Pamela Anderson to Run the New York City Marathon for Haitian Relief

By MAGGIE COUGHLAN
09/29/2013 at 12:30 PM EDT
Pamela Anderson announced her plans to run the ING New York City Marathon on herTwitter account on Sunday – all in the name of a good cause.
"I'm running the New York Marathon this year and raising funds for the J/P Haitian Relief Organization," she Tweeted.
Spanning across the five boroughs, the Marathon takes place Nov. 3, leaving Anderson just over a month to raise funds to support J/P HRO, an organization that aims to save lives and bring sustainable programs to the Haiti following the earthquake of 2010.
On her fundraising page, Anderson, 46, wrote, "I'm running the New York Marathon ... (Can you believe it?). Together, I hope we can raise at least $500,000 and make a huge impact in this magical country ... keep checking my page and Facebook and Twitter to find out about all sorts of contests I'll be running from now until November – I will give updates on my training too."
The actress then adds a list of reasons as to why she's supporting Haiti.
"Poorest Country in the Western Hemisphere. Just a one-hour flight from Miami. How are we not more involved? Desperate need for things we take for granted – clean water, safe school structures, medical facilities, emergency rooms, reforestation possibilities – conservation, education. Organic products allowed into Free trade market (mangoes, coffee, vanilla, vegetables). The opportunities are endless."
She adds, "To spend time in Haiti is to fall in love with Haiti. The magic of this country ... The people ... The humility ... Pride. Musicians, athletes and Artists. It has been heartbreaking to witness the poverty among people in what should be a very rich country."
She continues, "I was in Haiti shortly after the earthquake to help with local farms and food distribution in tent camps. I visited J/P HRO when it was in its beginning stages. I brought cold beer through rubble-covered streets to volunteers who were working long days surrounded by dust and death. I have known Sean [Penn] a long time ... I love him dearly. I think many people shine in Haiti. They Jumped. Took Action. Made the decision to help ... What if we ALL had the nerve? I think deep down we all do ... It feels good to help. And it heals us too."
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20740256,00.html

Aucun commentaire: